My design for the theater became more
elaborate as I got into the project, and some of the elements I added after I
started are the elements I like the most. As you can see
from the picture on the left, the original lights were just standard can lights. I hadn't originally planned to replace
them, but I saw some mini-chandelier pendant lights at Lowes, and I thought they might be a nice touch to support the 1920's feel I was
going for in the theater itself. I bought one and brought it home for my wife to
look at. She liked it too, so my project expanded by one weekend as I
replaced the can lights with the pendants. The simple act of wiring the pendants
wasn't difficult at all. The main problem was that the cans had 6" cutouts,
and I needed to reduce the cutout size to about 3" so that the cover piece
from the pendants would cover the hole in the ceiling. This meant I needed to
repair circular holes in the drywall, in the ceiling, texture them, and paint
them. It ended up taking me about a full weekend to complete the wiring, drywall
repair, texturing, and painting for the lights. But it was worth it!
||This first picture shows the light the way it looks when
it's turned on.
||The second picture gives a better view of the light itself.
||This is the lighting pattern cast on the ceiling. This
picture makes the pattern look more pronounced than it is, but it does
look very interesting.
||Here's another view of the ceiling, still a little
exaggerated in the photo, but more representative.
||One side effect of the lighting pattern is that it covers
up blemishes in the paint job in the ceiling. I thought I had done a
pretty good job painting the ceiling, but then one day I was working with
the lights off and a task light on, and I saw what the ceiling really
looked like! That meant another half-day touching up the ceiling paint